Tour de Cape

8 Jan

Well it was a great time!!!! And I finished the 100 mile-which was my goal. Here is a brief report of the race.

Tony and I left the house at 5:45 to get to Cape Coral on time to register for the race. Yes we did not pre-register because of me. After registering while getting our bikes ready and pumping the tires a guy parked near use came over to tell us that he had a flat. He was looking for theSAG but no one was around. Since he didn’t have tools or a spare or a patch kit…Tony and I changed the tire for him and Tony gave him his spare. Then the guy came back and said the tire was flat again…..there was glass in the tire…so we changed the tire again and give him my spare. So Iwas off with only one spare left.

When 7:30 came the Cape Coral police escorted us out of the parking lot and the race was off. Tony and I being in the middle just rode along at a brisk 23 wasn't long before we fell back to the second pack and fit in better there doing 20 to 22 mph. Each of us took a turn pulling and I did my share.....I froze my water bottles so I had no water for the first 20 miles....ugh! At the 50 rest stop the pack decieded to stop to "refuel" so I was able to drink eat, stretch etc.... then it was off again. I was a little stiff after the stop and wondered about the need to stop had I the fuel on my bike.

At the 60 mile mark...I began to have bad they brought tears to my eyes...or maybe it was sweat! I stoped to massage my legs...the park ranger asked if I needed medical assistance and I refused....I drank some orange juice and continued on...but now I was alone...

I fould a nice lady who was cleaning her already clean garage. I asked her for some water and some salt. So I ate 3 teaspoons of salt raw then put some in my water bottle and drank that as well.....hey it helped I didn't cramp any more!!!!! I now had to deal with never been this far and the just plain pain...the ball of my left foot started to hurt....then at 75 miles I stopped at the aid station and drank some pickel juice, ate 2 bananas, drank some water, gatorade...ate some salttines with peanut butter.... and was on my way....

At 80 miles I had a major headache and dizzy spelll....but it passed...Finally I made it to the finish line...well there was no one there except Tony sitting on the tailgate of his banner or line or clock or people to cheer...whats with that?

Well I finished and now I can say I did 100 miles....the first 50 was great being in a pack of riders was alot of fun. I averaged 20 mph for the first not to bad...


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

The Sailboat Tara

A sailboat, a couple, and their little dog too.


Bourbon History


Food, Travel and Photography Blog

The Road Less Run

Running, cats & coffee.

Blog – Alastair Humphreys

Follow an average 60 something as he trains for triathlons!

. running with spoons .

... because you can't eat with scissors

Exercise Eat Repeat

Follow an average 60 something as he trains for triathlons!


Running and Laughing through the Garden State

Peanut Butter Fingers

Living a Life Fueled by Healthy Food and Fitness

Carrots 'N' Cake

Follow an average 60 something as he trains for triathlons!


This site is the cat’s pajamas

The Keen Peach

A glimpse into a sweet life

italy on my mind

"in food there are memories"

%d bloggers like this: